interior designer : canadian 'design junky'

2.28.2006

sneezes

wow, i was all geared up for that enormous venue and i came down with a case of the flu. it took me 2 days to think about writing this post and another 2.5 to actually write it, my brain was definitely foggy. it was terrible .. the flu not the show. but a hit of hot yoga last night to cure four days of 'oh my gosh, i need to lay down...everything is spinning. nope, nauseous, definitely nauseous- oh righ and i have a 3yr old to take care of' .....and i'm feeling at least 85% better.
the point - right, the interior design show 2006, hmm, pink very pink. big show for toronto design culture [no where near the size of IDEX or NEOCON in chicago]. kitchens, bathrooms, lighting, closets - nothing super cutting edge in my opinion. but then again, i just may be a bit over exposed to deisgn elements these days. 'kit 24' house was large in size and its space age prefab concept was 'karim rashid'. big. plastic. bright. eye catcher you ask? um, only due to size, hot pink, electric green and due in part to some very generous large sponsors. the only drama was the bubble gum pink isle that led to the big white 'dome-ship-a-ma-call-it'. you might have thought the poorly body painted ladies may have distracted you from the vast space surrounding his showcase but they didn't. it definitely drew a crowd but i'm not sure that the dialogue and discussion it created was about 'kit 24'.
everyone worked hard to make the the show happen, trust me i know. to be honest my favorite part is where our own canadian artisans are showcasing in an area called studio north. commission pieces are huge jobs and right now everyone in architecture and interiors are working with some new 'up and comer' in ceramics, fabric, fashion, furniture or graphics.

and question: hugo boss? to sponsor a booth - maybe but the main stage? i'm sorry, being a designer myself and one with taste [hello look at my blog?]: i never wear hugo, please explain to me again why hugo would be the first choice to plaster everywhere? not exactly the caliber of fashion design i would mix with modern design and architecture - i mean we have gucci, prada and louis vuitton stores here. personally a sponsorship by bmw, mercedes...even caban would have made more sense.

from me to you: to all the artisans that i interviewed and posted, i'm sorry we never met - the flu got me it wasn't you. i look forward to meeting you and plese keep in touch.

in reply to 'ladybird' you rock and so does toronto! i could never admit to my movie choices either but at this point in my life i say 'ah, what the heck lettem know'. and koodos to your blog, i'll be reading. good luck on ebay! keep an eye on my site for a future link to yours and other toronto blogs.

i will be back to regular posting as of now, stay tuned.....

my son wants the world to know that his favorite number is no. 03. [he typed the number]

No comments: